[pdal] First steps using PDAL in osgeo4W

Silvia Franceschi silvia.franceschi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 06:34:23 PDT 2019

Hi Bradley and Adam,
I think I am messed up...
What I would like to do using PDAL is to extract a good DTM from my LiDAR
data.
I have very high resolution LiDAR data on different test areas (with
vegetation cover, ...) and would like to understand if there are tools that
can extract a good the DTM. I already tried to use the pdal ground but the
results can be improved so I thought that the PCL was a way to obtain
better results. Isn't it?

Unfortunately I think that I didn't understand well how the pipelines work
in pdal because if I try to use the pdal pcl command as follow:

pdal pcl -i /media/hydrologis/BRENTA/2019_didalos/pdal/test_data/mydata.las
-o
/media/hydrologis/BRENTA/2019_didalos/pdal/test_data/mydata_ground_pcl.las
-p sor-pmf.json

creating the sor-pmf.json file as follow:

{
  "pipeline": {
    "name": "Progressive Morphological Filter with Outlier Removal",
    "version": 1.0,
    "filters": [{
        "name": "StatisticalOutlierRemoval",
        "setMeanK": 8,
        "setStddevMulThresh": 3.0
      }, {
        "name": "ProgressiveMorphologicalFilter"
    }]
  }
}

I can not obtain any result... the output file is empty and in addition, if
I try to add the -v4 to the command line I get this error:

PDAL: kernels.pcl: Unexpected argument '-v'.

Could you please help me understanding what I am doing wrong and what is
better to use to extract a DTM from my data?
I also saw that there are other filtering drivers like the SMRF, I didn't
read the documentation until now, but is there an alternative to the PCL? I
choose the PCL because it was the first one for which I found a scientific
documentation...

Hope you can help me.

Regards

Silvia

On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 3:05 PM Bradley Chambers <brad.chambers at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Silvia,
>
> It has been a long time since I've worked with any of the PCL filters. If
> this isn't working as documented, we should take a closer look at both the
> code and the documentation. In the meantime, two things you could try.
>
> 1) Instead of passing in the filename of the PCL JSON pipeline, copy and
> paste the PCL pipeline you are trying to run into the PCL Block methods
> option. An example of this is shown at
> https://pdal.io/tutorial/pcl_spec.html?highlight=pcl#examples.
>
> 2) Don't use PCL if you don't have to. In modern PDAL, we can do almost
> all of the older PCL functions using built-in filters. For example, you can
> replace PCL's passthrough with PDAL's range filter. There are a few
> lingering PCL capabilities that are not replicated, but they should be few
> and far between.
>
> Brad
>
> On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 7:59 AM adam steer <adam.d.steer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Silvia
>>
>> to clarify - the ‘passthough.json’ file I’m referring to, which needs
>> checking, is the one which is passed to ‘filters.pclblock’:
>>
>> {
>> "type":"filters.pclblock",
>> "filename":"passthrough.json"
>> },