[pdal] Point cloud viewer in QGIS

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Tue Jul 7 08:23:15 PDT 2020

> On Jul 6, 2020, at 12:05 PM, Luigi Pirelli <luipir at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Another possible critical aspect is lack of OSGeo4W packaging moved to Conda in a Win environment. AFAIR OSGeo4W packaging was abandoned due to lack of resources to maintain it, not for technical limitations. Is it right Howard?

Yes, we moved to Conda because there wasn't an effective way to control our dependency tree (GDAL, etc) in OSGeo4W. Users complained about the need for an Admin-capable install location, and we also wanted to leverage the wider Conda / CondaForge ecosystem which has been picked up by nearly every development IDE and toolchain.  If OSGeo4W is the primary distribution mechanism for QGIS, it is going to have to be brought up to speed by the QGIS team. Tthere are QGIS builds on CondaForge too, and I would implore the team to take a serious look at abandoning OSGeo for it, but that's another topic.