[pdal] Digitized building footprints

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Mon Jun 29 09:50:41 PDT 2020

> On Jun 29, 2020, at 10:18 AM, Stephen V. Mather <svm at clevelandmetroparks.com> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I am processing a dataset for which I have a digitized building footprints. It'd be even cooler if I had vegetation, but beggers != choosers.
>
> In principle, I could use filters.overlay, but this is a massive dataset, so I am curious if it makes more sense to rasterize, tile things up, and use filters.colorization.

Define massive ;)

I think your instinct to rasterize the footprints is the right one here. filters.overlay is going to do point-in-polygon for every point/poly combo. Most are quickly thrown out, but you're going to be checking every one. A raster mask is going to be much quicker, and you can control the resolution with gdal_rasterize.

> Happy to test and report back on what is fastest, but in case someone has a hunch, or an alternative recommended approach, I thought I would ask.

I'm curious in how different things might be, but I suspect the approaches will separate quite quickly for significantly sized polygon and point cloud sets.