[pdal] lazperf requirement for PDAL 2.4+

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Sun Oct 3 12:31:52 PDT 2021

All,

We are planning at the upcoming PDAL 2.4 release to move forward with supporting LAZ in PDAL using the ONLY the lazperf library [1]. We have made significant engineering effort with lazperf to improve the software quality vs LASzip, provide actual data integrity tests, and add enhancements to support the variable chunking that is needed for COPC [2].

LAZ usage like COPC, EPT, or LAZ read and write support will not be available if lazperf is not available when compiling PDAL at the upcoming 2.4.0 version. Supporting two libraries with different functionality and capabilities is difficult and costly. With Martin's recent death, the LASzip library is likely to go into pure maintenance mode, and we are not planning to pick up maintenance of that library given we that have moved forward with lazperf.

If this has a significant impact on your upcoming workflow or distribution, please step forward with resources or time to change this trajectory.

Howard

[1] https://github.com/hobu/laz-perf
[2] https://copc.io