[pdal] lazperf requirement for PDAL 2.4+

James Klassen klassen.js at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 05:29:27 PDT 2021

I’m torn here…

It seems important for the other GIS packages to have pdal packaged (especially with the upcoming QGIS point cloud work). It also seems like it is important to have it packaged for OSGeo Live.

However, while I mostly run Debian stable, I build/install multiple versions of pdal, lazperf, gdal, QGIS, CloudCompare, et al. from source because the packaged versions usually aren’t up to date with what I need (and I like building from source because it helps when I need to debug/modify code).

I haven’t packaged anything for Debian before.  I have built some of my own DEBs, but I just did the bare minimum to get something that would install. I haven’t gone through any of the community process, nor cared if the packages pass lint.  Lazperf itself seems like a pretty easy place to start (few dependencies, well behaved cmake, etc).  How much ongoing effort would be required to maintain a package such as lazperf?