[pdal] limit reading EPT and writing laz?

Andrew Bell andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 06:39:36 PST 2022

On Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 9:02 AM Kirk Waters - NOAA Federal <
kirk.waters at noaa.gov> wrote:

> Andrew,
> Thanks for testing that. I ran it again with the same result, but this
> time turned on --developer-debug. Here's what I ran:
> (gdal) ocm-s-ares$ pdal pipeline --stdin --developer-debug < pipeline.txt
> > output.txt 2>&1
> Killed
> (gdal) ocm-s-ares$ echo $?
> 137
> (gdal) ocm-s-ares$ ls -l extractept0.laz
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 kirk.waters crs 2784906231 Jan  6 07:49 extractept0.laz
>
> The output.txt file contained the same thing I remember seeing before,
> with nothing extra from the debug:
> (pdal pipeline readers.ept Warning) 2598817459 will be downloaded
> (pdal pipeline writers.las Warning) Auto offset for X requested in stream
> mode.  Using value of -80.8347.
> (pdal pipeline writers.las Warning) Auto offset for Y requested in stream
> mode.  Using value of 35.3408.
> (pdal pipeline writers.las Warning) Auto offset for Z requested in stream
> mode.  Using value of 246.85.
>
> All of this is running on RHEL7 in a conda environment with pdal version
> 2.3.0 (git-version 0800a2). The "Killed" on the terminal seems odd since
> anything going to stdout or stderr should have landed in output.txt, but
> that didn't. Almost like something external killed it.

I'm guessing you ran out of memory. That's almost always what it means when
your process is "killed" by the operating system. This can happen if you
are able to download data faster than you can consume it. You might try
setting the number of threads *lower*, as this will reduce the number of
outstanding requests for data. I have made an adjustment in the copc reader
for this issue, but it hasn't made it into the ept reader at this time. On
*nix, run top and watch the memory for your process.

Hope that helps,

--
Andrew Bell
andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com