[pdal] About litree filter: too much computation time, and other questions.

Ulises Ibarra ulisesmartinibarra at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 11:36:25 PST 2023

Brad, hello:

El mar, 17 ene 2023 a las 11:46, Bradley Chambers (<brad.chambers at gmail.com>)
escribió:

> Ulises,
>
> What version of PDAL are you using? I think this method will always be
> fairly computationally complex, but we did have a nice speed-up with
> https://github.com/PDAL/PDAL/pull/3520 prior to the 2.4 PDAL release.

pdal 2.4.3 (git-version: dcef18)

> Radius is distance used to select a dummy point. We default to 100 m, the
> same as is used in the paper. The purpose of the dummy point is to seed the
> class of points that will NOT belong to the tree currently being segmented.

Oh, I see that the paper says "We then insert a dummy point n0 that is far
away (e.g., 100 m) from t0 into Ni."

> min_points is only used after the current tree has been clustered. If it's
> too small, it is skipped. Changing the min_points will not speed things up
> significantly.

 Thanks for the explanation.

> I think the biggest opportunities for speeding computation would be to
> downsample the data prior to running the filter or to tile the data into
> smaller chunks. Whether that is a satisfactory solution for your workflow
> or not is really up to you.

Please, let me ask you a few questions:

1. Sampling a point inside a cube with a size of about 10 centimeters on
each side, would this seem like a good level of subsampling to you?

2. I could cut the cloud of points into tiles, but would something serious
happen if a tree is half in one tile and half in another?

3. Would each of the files for each tile be processed by batch processing?

Thanks you very much

Ulises