[pdal] About litree filter: too much computation time, and other questions.

Bradley Chambers brad.chambers at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 11:41:58 PST 2023

On Tue, Jan 17, 2023 at 1:36 PM Ulises Ibarra <ulisesmartinibarra at gmail.com>
wrote:

> 1. Sampling a point inside a cube with a size of about 10 centimeters on
> each side, would this seem like a good level of subsampling to you?

I have not thoroughly studied this topic and it will be data dependent, but
I would guess that this would still work quite well. You might just have to
experiment on a small patch to tune the settings to your liking before
expanding to the full scene.

> 2. I could cut the cloud of points into tiles, but would something serious
> happen if a tree is half in one tile and half in another?

Correct. In the best case, you'd have two correctly segmented half trees in
each tile that you'd need to stitch together somehow.

> 3. Would each of the files for each tile be processed by batch processing?

 Any batch processing or parallelization of your workflow will be external
to PDAL, but would be a reasonable approach to the problem.