[pdal] PDAL usage for cave entrance detection

Guillaume CHARDIN guillaume.chardin at speleo83cds.fr
Fri Feb 16 08:30:50 PST 2024

Hello guys,
I read some pdal documentation and I wonder if I can use pdal to analyze
some point cloud data to seach/evaluate ground level about cave entrance.

Some background about the project: french National Geographic Institute
distribute lidar data about french territory.
I am a member of a caving group and we aim to localize water spring/water
holes on some geographic area.
The laz categorization is not enough precise to detect small amount of
water or "ground water loss". So we find another way to dit it...
"Manually"... Now  with this visualisation tool ( potree), we where able to
identify those kind of small zones an successfully corelate real stuff with
predicted stuff (on potree).
Now we want to make this process automatic and make it suggests some small
zone. Instead spending very long time playing with visualisation tools on
all the point data (data provided by IGN are big data points 1kmx1km).

I'm not sure pdal can meet these goals. Maybe some expert here can provide
the answer an/or maybe some idea to point me using the right tools.

Thanks for your patience and help.
Hope my English was clear describing our goal.

Guillaume