[pdal] viewing extra_dims data

Nick Holshouser nickholshouser at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 12:58:27 PST 2024

Hello,

I am reclassifying vegetation into my own Low/Medium/High ranges and then
writing a new laz file, keeping the HeightAboveGround as an extra
dimension. Subsequently, in another pipeline I can use the
HeightAboveGround dimension in a filter just as a regular dimension, such
as assigning a color based on the value.

I can see the extra dimension using --metadata:

    "vlr_2":

    {

      "data":
"AAAKAEhlaWdodEFib3ZlR3JvdW5kAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEhlaWdodCBBYm92ZSBHcm91bmQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA",

      "description": "Extra Bytes Record",

      "record_id": 4,

      "user_id": "LASF_Spec"

    },

Is there any way to check the values? using -p I get data for points but
not the value of the added HeightAboveGround dimension. --stats gives
statistics for the standard dimensions but not for the HeightAboveGround
dimension.

thanks, Nick