[pdal] viewing extra_dims data

Andrew Bell andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 13:31:04 PST 2024

Nick,

Extra dimensions should show up like any other dimension, so without extra
information, it's hard to know what's going on. You can verify the extra
dimension more easily with "pdal info --schema". Perhaps provide the
pipeline/command used to create the file and the one used to gather
statistics.

On Tue, Feb 20, 2024 at 3:58 PM Nick Holshouser via pdal <
pdal at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am reclassifying vegetation into my own Low/Medium/High ranges and then
> writing a new laz file, keeping the HeightAboveGround as an extra
> dimension. Subsequently, in another pipeline I can use the
> HeightAboveGround dimension in a filter just as a regular dimension, such
> as assigning a color based on the value.
>
> I can see the extra dimension using --metadata:
>
>     "vlr_2":
>
>     {
>
>       "data":
> "AAAKAEhlaWdodEFib3ZlR3JvdW5kAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEhlaWdodCBBYm92ZSBHcm91bmQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA",
>
>       "description": "Extra Bytes Record",
>
>       "record_id": 4,
>
>       "user_id": "LASF_Spec"
>
>     },

> Is there any way to check the values? using -p I get data for points but
> not the value of the added HeightAboveGround dimension. --stats gives
> statistics for the standard dimensions but not for the HeightAboveGround
> dimension.
>
> thanks, Nick

Andrew Bell
andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com