[pgpointcloud] Howto read/convert PTS or PTX formats?

Martin Isenburg martin.isenburg at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 02:57:32 PDT 2013

Hello.

you can use the pointzip.exe tool, but that is mainly meant to "take
the edge off" as it has been my experience that the terrestrial
scanner folks are very GUI centric and these folks seem reluctant to
enter the command-line world.

instead of using pointzip.exe through the GUI you can also use

laszip -i in.pts -ipts -o out.laz

or

laszip -i in.ptx -iptx -o out.laz

and the extra PTS or PTX information will be stored in an additional
VLR record so it could be recovered if needed (for the PTX it is
likely needed if there are any values in the translation or rotation
matrices)

Is pointzip.exe being used much in the terrestrial world? I got a lot
of feedback after release but it has died down since.

Martin

PS: The web-site http://pointzip.org is really meant to house the
"generic" compressor someday and I am still waiting vor Dave (USACE)
or Paul (Elephant) to get back to me on that.