[pgrouting-users] Vote results on [RFC-01] and [RFC-02]

Toru Mori(森亮) moritoru at orkney.co.jp
Sun Apr 18 23:28:25 EDT 2010

Hi list,

I guess almost nobody on the list understands what PostLBS is and relationship between PostLBS and pgRouting.
So I would like everybody on the list to explain it.

pgRouting has started as a branch project of PostLBS at Orkney, Inc. in late 2005. First version was released in 2006.

You can see the description of what PostLBS is at http://www.orkney.co.jp/en/community/ .
---------
PostLBS provides core tools for Location Based Services as open source software based on PostgreSQL and PostGIS. PostLBS includes routing and address search functionalities - pgRouting and pgGeocoder, which are similar to those found in proprietary software.
---------

For a very long time, PostLBS, as an open source project, has been suspended except for pgRouting and Japanese domestic pgGeocoder.ja. So I would propose that pgRouting can be independent open source project, no longer branch project of PostLBS. It is totally up to the community.

By the way, Orkney has re-started PostLBS development since Dec. 2009 with government fund.
New PostLBS is designed as universal WebAPI platform for geospatial analysis and visualization. It works with pgRouting and other geospatial tools as well. It will be released this September around FOSS4G.
I guess it has similar functionalities to the Zoo project partly. So I think we should discuss and find way to collaborate.

Toru Mori
President & CEO  Orkney, Inc.
MM Park Building 13F
3-6-3 Minatomirai, Nishi, Yokohama 220-0012 JAPAN
Tel 81-45-228-3320  Fax 81-45-228-3321
http://www.orkney.co.jp/