[pgrouting-users] pgr Create Topology question

John Zabrenski jwzabrenski at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 14:20:05 PDT 2014

Hello everyone,

I have a question about pgr_createTopology...

I am attempting to make a routable US street network table using pgRouting
(pgRouting ver 2.0.0, postGIS 2.1.1, postgresql 9.2).
It is running on localhost (32 bit windows, 4 gb RAM).

I have a postgres table created originally from street shapefiles that now
has about 43 million rows.

As I expected, the create topology function faced an out of memory error
about halfway through the creation, and gave me this message:

My original statement:

SELECT pgr_createTopology('usa_streets', 0.00001, 'geom', 'gid');

Result:

NOTICE:  out of memory
NOTICE:  UPDATE public.usa_streets SET source = 22148149,target = 22152619
WHERE gid =  9166028
Total query runtime: 96149189 ms.
1 row retrieved.

The resulting vertices_pgr table has only about 22 million rows and I get
errors for null sources when trying to run routing functions.

Would it be possible to run another Create Topology for rows in the
original edges table where source and target are null, or will this just
create two conflicting networks?

I am curious if anyone here is familiar or experienced with a workaround
for this problem? Or is the only solution more RAM? If I'm leaving out any
relevant information please let me know.

Thank you for reading,
John Zabrenski