[pgrouting-users] RFC3 Positional and named parameters on pgRouting functions

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Thu Oct 25 08:37:18 PDT 2018

Hi Dave,

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

The proposal, we're talking about, will apply for the next major release of
pgRouting. And major releases often imply some "breaking changes", because
sometimes wrong decisions have been made, and major releases try to fix
them.

There will be definitely documentation, that explains breaking changes and
what to care about when upgrading. Eventually there are ways to provide
even more user-friendly upgrade tools. Suggestions are always welcome!

However, the RFC3 proposal actually tries to make function syntax more
reliable. By using named parameters the order or number of function
parameters may change but your application will still work.

Best regards,
Daniel

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 2:42 PM Dave Potts <mrdapotts at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can we ensure that the following issues are taken care of
>
> Its clearly explained how to port old code to use the new systems for the
> last years worth of releases.
> Any attempt to use old signature method name with a new signature some
> results in some type of massive error along the lines your need to update
> you code.
> The current documentation is updated.
> Any new code or code that is being developed  has to use the new methods
>
> There is a lot of old code out there, we need a clear method of ensure it
> can be updated by somebody who has never seen pgrouting before
>
> On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 at 19:44, Vicky Vergara <vicky at georepublic.de> wrote:
>
>> Dear Users and developers
>>
>> We would like to hear your feedback about:
>> Positional and named parameters on pgRouting functions
>> That is described here:
>> https://github.com/pgRouting/admin/wiki/RFC3
>>
>> The aim is to enforce positional notation on compulsory parameters and
>> allow named notation on optional parameters
>> That enforcement would take place on version 3.0.0 scheduled to be
>> released on September 2019.
>>
>> We will appreciate your feedback.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> The pgRouting team
>>

>> --
>>
>> Georepublic UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
>> Salzmannstraße 44,
>> 81739 München, Germany
>>
>> Vicky Vergara
>> Operations Research
>>
>> eMail: vicky at georepublic.de
>> Web: https://georepublic.info
>>
>> Tel: +49 (089) 4161 7698-1
>> Fax: +49 (089) 4161 7698-9
>>
>> Commercial register: Amtsgericht München, HRB 181428
>> CEO: Daniel Kastl

Georepublic UG & Georepublic Japan
eMail: daniel.kastl at georepublic.de
Web: https://georepublic.info