[Portugal] [FOSS SAT] A round up of FOSS stories you may have missed from across the web

termal12 termal12 at gmail.com
Sun May 16 10:27:37 EDT 2010

http://www.ghabuntu.com/2010/05/foss-sat-round-up-of-foss-stories-you.html

Enviado para você por termal12 através do Google Reader: [FOSS SAT] A
round up of FOSS stories you may have missed from across the web via
GHABUNTU de sinaisix em 15/05/10

As part of a new set of schedule we are rolling out on Ghabuntu, we
present to you FOSS Friday, where we bring to you round up of Free and
Open Source related stories from across the web that were exciting but
you may have missed.
Microsoft, Education, Children and FOSSOver at Techrights, @schestowitz
takes an in depth look at how Microsoft is using the Gates Foundation
to help solidify the the former's push to get young minds saturated
with more Windows gas.
He writes "this article goes beyond the issue of schooling and more
into colonization of areas like Africa...there is nothing wrong with
feeding people and helping education, but the way this is done here is
self-enriching and self-serving" You can continue with his insightful
and detailed post here.
Freedom vs. The Cloud LogOver at H-Online, @glynmoddy (yes author of
the Rebel Code) talks to Eben Moglen, who is a former counsel for the
FSF about privacy, the cloud open source.
He begins "free software has won: practically all of the biggest and
most exciting Web companies like Google, Facebook and Twitter run on
it. But it is also in danger of losing, because those same services now
represent a huge threat to our freedom as a result of the vast stores
of information they hold about us, and the in-depth surveillance that
implies." You can continue reading here.
Over a hundred schools using open source in Finland Gijs Hillenius over
at Osor.eu reports about the use of FOSS in over 100 Finnish schools.
He writes "the School of Kasavuori in Kauniainen hosted a conference on
its IT use last month. Next to using Ubuntu Linux, the school uses
various open source web-based applications that are integrated with the
school's user database and other systems, such as Moodle and a wiki."
You can read the full story here.

Going Green with Open Source: The West vs the rest of the WorldOver at
the Opentechexchange, @Opentechdiva takes a look at how advanced
countries are contributing to the e-waste menace in developing parts of
the world and what role FOSS has to play in mitigating it.
She writes "a combination of hype marketing by PC manufacturers, the
fast churn of new components, and OS's that require increasingly more
resources lead to high consumer purchasing. As well, a lack of
knowledge leads people to buy computers that have 10 times the
resources they will ever need to simply web browse, send email or
modify photos." Continue reading here
Open Source: OpenOffice.org We Have a ProblemGene of eComStation writes
about problems he encountered in getting OO.org working on a client's
project.
He writes "no, I am not a programmer and I do not have time to become
one, so suggestions that I fix it myself are not welcome. This is true
of the greater majority of software end-users." Continue reading here.
Coisas que você pode fazer a partir daqui:
- Inscrever-se no GHABUNTU usando o Google Reader
- Começar a usar o Google Reader para se manter facilmente atualizado
sobre todos os seus sites favoritos