[postgis-devel] autoconf paths

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Fri Apr 15 13:10:57 PDT 2005

Hi, Strk,

strk at refractions.net schrieb:
> I'm not sure we should keep relying on pgsql layout, although
> your solution is viable. Actually I was thinking that allowing
> storage of extension lib itself in a postgis-specific directory
> would permit using different postgis versions for different
> databases of the same cluster (does it make any sense?).

Yes, it does make sense, it is what I do on my developer machines all
day. :-)

Sometimes, it is not possible to migrate one database to a new postgis
version because the app is incompatible, but another app that uses a
different database relies on the new features.

So I think the most flexible may be to use the output of "pg_config
--configure" by default, but allow both overriding individual parameters
via --docdir, --bindir etc. or using --prefix to have everything bundled
together in $PREFIX/bin, $PREFIX/lib etc. However, I think this may make
the configuring process too complex.

Markus