[postgis-devel] Issue 90 in postgis: AddGeometryColumn inappropriately defaults to current_schema() if given nonexistent schema

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Wed Jan 7 08:55:49 PST 2009

Comment #5 on issue 90 by reid at reidster.net: AddGeometryColumn
inappropriately defaults to current_schema() if given nonexistent schema
http://code.google.com/p/postgis/issues/detail?id=90

Kevin,

Very glad to hear it'll be fixed in 1.4.

> Applying the patch to 1.3 would change the behaviour of the method, which
is not
> appropriate for a micro release.

Without knowing the PostGIS policy on this (it's certainly not that
changing the
behavior of methods is out, since that excludes all bugfixes), I'd like to
push back
a bit: the current behavior is not documented, so I don't see how it
changes the
advertised interface, and I do believe it violates the principle of least
surprise
rather severely.

It could also lead to incorrect behavior: suppose that I have two tables,
pg_temp1.foo_tmp and public.foo. If I call
AddGeometryColumn('temp', 'foo', ...) --
i.e., I got the name of the temp tablespace wrong and I forgot the _tmp
suffix --
then it would change the wrong table (foo instead of foo_tmp). This
scenario could
arise if (say) I created a temp copy of foo to do some analysis.

I agree that there are bigger fish to fry, but it's a trivial patch.

> If it ok with you, I'll close this ticket.

Not sure if you were actually waiting for me on this, but if you were, 17
hours
doesn't seem a long enough wait for someone to reply.

Thanks,

Reid