[postgis-devel] The best way of adding the raster code

Jorge Arévalo jorge.arevalo at deimos-space.com
Fri Sep 24 01:35:06 PDT 2010

Hi Paul,

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 7:51 PM, Paul Ramsey <pramsey at opengeo.org> wrote:
> I think rather than dropping a Makefile.in into the root, you should
> have a 'raster' target in GNUMakefile, a 'raster-clean' target, etc,
> etc.

Yes, I have that.

> The --with-raster flag in the configure.ac will set @values@ and also
> conditionally do the checks for the raster-only dependencies (GDAL).

I have that too.

> Inside the raster directory itself, you can have a Makefile.in, and in
> the case where the --with-raster flag was not set, it can just do
> nothing in its compile/clean/etc phases.

Ok, that's the part that differs.

In raster dir, I have a Makefile, that simply calls the Makefiles that
configure script creates in source directories (raster/rt_core,
raster/rt_pg). So, I could create a Makefile.in, instead having that
static Makefile, and only call the "make -c rt_core, make -c rt_pg"
instructions when "--with-raster" option is provided. It should work,
I guess...

> Then, when it's time to make raster a default/required part of the
> build (which will happen before 2.0), we just remove the --with-raster
> from config.ac and the checks in the Makefile.in in the raster
> directory.
>
> Sound OK?

Yes, I think sounds ok.

Many thanks!,