[postgis-devel] spatial_ref_sys ranges

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Fri Dec 16 08:44:39 PST 2011

I'm working on making postgis_restore.pl do something sensible
with spatial_ref_sys and would like to do some mind-picking.

The new spatial_ref_sys has a constraint added, checking
for srid being > 0 and < 999000. Do you think any dump could
contain a SRID outside of that range ? If so, what could
we do about that ?

Also, it would be helpful to clearly define SRID ranges for
the future. We reserve 999000..999999 for our internal use,
and have up to 900913 taken for the google projection.

Where should we suggest users to put their values ?
Did we ever have a policy about that ?

--strk;