[postgis-devel] [transifex] Translating code comments and commands output?

George Silva georger.silva at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 12:19:39 PST 2014

I had the same discussion with another member of the Italian team (i think).

I think it's better to not translate the outputs, only comments in the code.

The chances that a newbie user will see the same results are greater,
generating less confusion, but we can go either way.

What do you guys/gals think?

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 1:21 PM, Mateusz Łoskot <mateusz at loskot.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> One of members of Polish translators team asked this question,
> but I am not sure myself So, here we go:
>
> 1. Should SQL code comments be translated?
>
> IMHO, yes as in that context they are part of documentation, not
> implementation,
> so they carry important information for (international) users.
>
> 2. Should commands (psql and others) output be translated?
>
> At first, I think yes, but then I realised it's locale-dependant
> and chances are not all commands or strings are translated.
>
> So, if we translate commands output in docs, users may expect to
> see the same translation in console.
>
> Any recommendations?
> What teams translating to other languages do?
>
> Best regards,
> --
> Mateusz  Łoskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net

George R. C. Silva