[postgis-devel] PATH required on make check

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Tue Dec 18 07:42:01 PST 2018

Bruce Rindahl <bruce.rindahl at gmail.com> writes:

> /usr/local/pgsql/bin is not in PATH
>
> Then in source:
>
> ./configure --with-pgconfig=/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_config
> make
> sudo make install
> make check
>
> The first few sets of checks run (PATH is shown as including
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin
> ).  When you get to the raster tests, PATH does not show /usr/local/pgsql/bin
> and the tests fail.

If I follow, you are operating in a way where the postgresql binaries
are not in the default path, and that seems surprising to expect that to
work - but perhaps you are using a packaging system that has a different
for each package and tries to keep PATH minimal.  I would expect that
this would cause lots of problems.

So I would suggest a doc fix that says that when building, testing and
using postgis, it is expected that the PATH contain the bin directory of
the prefix that pgsql was configured for.