[postgis-devel] PostGIS 2.5.0beta1 is released

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Mon Jul 9 06:51:04 PDT 2018

> "Regina Obe" <lr at pcorp.us> writes:
>
> > The PostGIS development team is pleased to release PostGIS 2.5.0beta1.
>
> I testeed with goes 3.6.2, gdal 2.2.4, and pgsql 9.5.13.  All tests
passed,
> except that I have some gdal/raster issue in pgsql - but that is not new
with
> this postgis version.
>
> My complete (not committed) diff for the package update follows.  It
mostly
> looks ok, but the removal of the dev-- upgrade line looks incorrect.

[Regina Obe]

I don't bother including the dev upgrade version cause it's an extra thing
and I figure anybody testing would be

a) testing from the alpha release
b) would be smart enough to add back the dev if they were testing from say
2.5.0beta1dev

When release time comes, I'm planning to remove all the alphas and rcs as
well.
RC I may consider keeping.

Thoughts?

> > This release is a work in progress. No more api changes will be made
> > from this point on before 2.5.0 release. Remaining time will be
> > focused on bug fixes and documentation for the new functionality and
> > performance enhancements under the covers. Although this release will
> > work for PostgreSQL 9.4 and above, to take full advantage of what
> > PostGIS 2.5 will offer, you should be running PostgreSQL 11beta2+ and
> > GEOS 3.7.0beta1 which were released recently.
>
> > Best served with PostgreSQL 11beta2 which was recently released -
> > https://www.postgresql.org/about/news/1867/
>
> Do you know when geos 3.7 and pgsql 11 will be released, and will this
> release be held up until then?  It's irregular for a release to recommend
an
> unreleased version of some depdency, so it would be good to adjust the
> wording.
[Regina Obe]

The reason I mentioned pgsql 11 and geos 3.7 is because,  PostGIS 2.5.0 is
also in the same state as they are.
So if you are running with unreleased, you probably want to test all the new
features.

And 2.5.0 does use functionality which will only be exposed if you are using
pg 11 and GEOS 3.7.
So if you are not testing with those, you are not testing all the new
features.

We plan to release GEOS 3.7 before PostGIS 2.5.0.  If no more changes or
issues, 3.7 could be as early as 2-3 weeks from now.

PostGIS 2.5.0 we need to get out before pgsql 11 so that all 11 users who
want to run with PostGIS 2.5.0 can, so I'm shooting for late August / early
September

PostgreSQL 11 planned release - I think they are still on target for
mid-September / October time frame.

Thanks,
Regina