[postgis-devel] PostGIS 2.5.0beta1 is released

Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski me at komzpa.net
Mon Jul 9 11:21:17 PDT 2018

Hi,

> So what stands in the way of publishing a 2.5.0rc1?  If nothing, lets do
> it and give it at least a week, and call it released.  If something, I
> at least am unclear on what, and posting a clear list woudl help.

Is there any problem in treating 2.5.0beta1 as if it was called 2.5.0rc1?

At very least SP-GiST docs aren't there in RC quality, and there isn't
Postgres 11 RC to tell that they aren't going to break something that
breaks PostGIS.

> So, no, no required sequencing, which is good.

To support upgrades and let people use SP-GiST on PG11 with PostGIS 2.5, it
may happen that they need to upgade Postgres first and only after that
upgrade PostGIS.

Or maybe we need the -next trick for released version to upgrade to itself?

I also have seen a possibility for callback on load of PostGIS. That may be
a good spot to check library version mismatches an print "PostGIS is
degraded, do ALTER EXTENSION ... UPGRADE" warning if database loads say
PostGIS 2.5 from a .so named postgis.2.4.so. In theory there can be even
PostGIS 2.0 installs that followed half of the upgrade and are running 2.0
SQL on top of Postgres 10 upgraded from 9.3, with 2.4 symlinked as 2.0.

> > Again the issue is we have to get GEOS 3.7 out sooner or later.  2
> > years is too long to be sitting around without a release.  The longer
> > we wait the harder it will be to release.
>
> Sure, but that's about "what stands in the way of a
> 3.7.0{alpha1,beta1,rc1}?", not about postgis.

Some parts of PostGIS are rather thin wrappers around other libraries. You
won't get ST_FrechetDistance in PostGIS without new GEOS. You won't get it
tested, and it may get broken on weird architectures after GEOS 3.7 release
without any code change in PostGIS. You can see it already happening on
32bit FreeBSD build bot - there's no evidence that tests it fails ever
passed on 32bit FreeBSD, as this combination wasn't ever tested before.

This way it's better to traverse the tree of dependencies from lowest level
to user level: GEOS/SFCGAL, PostGIS, Postgres.