[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Drop the minor in the postgis lib files

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Wed Sep 26 23:01:38 PDT 2018

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 12:52:57AM -0400, Regina Obe wrote:

> So are you okay with me pushing ahead with this?
> As mentioned the default behavior is the lib file will be called
> postgis-3.whatever, rtpostgis-3.whatever

Ok, let's see where does this take us.
This means we CAN NOT drop or change any C-level signature
used by PostgreSQL (we should mark them somehow) without
updating the _major_ version.

> This also has the benefit that all the lib files will be kept in
> synch so you don't end up with the disaster of running say an older
> postgis_sfcgal , postgis_topology
> Than your postgis and backends of liblwgeoms fighting with each other.

I don't understand what you mean here, can you explain ?

My impression is that the likelyhood of runnign mixed versions
gets higher, not lower...

> We will allow people building their own, developers testing, or
> packagers the ability to keep the current behavior if they so choose by
> doing configure such as
>
> ./configure --add-lib-minor

I guess you want to do this for bots to prevent them testing the
wrong library in a parallel tests run from different branches ?
But doing so would mean the bots won't test the default naming of
libraries. Maybe let's postpone this (and the switch needs a better
name anyway)