[postgis-devel] [postgis-users] PostGIS 2.5.2, PostGIS 2.4.7, PostGIS 2.3.9 released

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Mon Mar 11 23:26:46 PDT 2019

> I have updated the pkgsrc package, and tested it against pgsql 9.5.16,
proj
> 5.2.0, and gdal 2.4.0.  The tests fully pass.
>
> (Earlier, I had tentatively updated gdal from 2.2 to 2.3, but was having
test
> failures in postgis.  I updated anyway and then to 2.4.0 because of proj
6,
> and I'm glad all seems well.)

[Regina Obe] That's great to hear

> As I understand it this simply #defines so the deprecated API is
available;
> understandable as a quick fix.  I gather the real fix is in trunk (to be
3.0),
[Regina Obe]
Correct. The real fix is in trunk - more details in Paul's article

http://blog.cleverelephant.ca/2019/02/proj4-postgis.html

> wonder if 2.5 will be EOL by proj 7 in early 2020, given there is still
2.3.

> https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/wiki/proj.h-adoption-status
[Regina Obe]
Little chance of 2.5 being EOL'ed that early especially since it's the last
of the 2 series
And we took out support for GEOS 3.5 which I fear GEOS 3.6 will be a bump
too high
For many older platforms to jump.

I'd love to be proven wrong especially since I'd REALLY love to get rid of
that MINOR in our lib file.

That said - since we don't like EOL'ing more than one minor a year and even
that I seem to need to fight to happen.
2.3 we can dream of EOL'ng in next 1 to 2 releases say end of this year
11/2019
2.4 would probably be earliest 11/2020

And then 2.5  11/2021