[postgis-devel] Enabling wagyu by default

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Thu May 30 15:34:52 PDT 2019

>> > BTW, do you happen to have a list of known softwares using the
>> ST_AsMVT function to generate tiles ? It could be nice to have similar
> lists on PostGIS wiki
>>
>> Apart from CARTO's Windshaft, I've only head of
>> https://github.com/urbica/martin.

> Ah right, I forgot Windshaft did MVT output !
> So, do you think it's worth adding some links to the postgis wiki (or manual?) for known users of those functions ?

> --strk;

>From what I have heard mostly in hallway talks, quite a few people are using PostGIS MVT functions for their own purposes and I have seen some presentations of people using it.
As I recall I think Björn Harrtell  had a nice presentation of generating MVT tiles from the db.

And I've seen a number of light weight tile servers being built using PostGIS MVT - e.g in addition to Carto Windshaft
https://github.com/Geodan/postgis-mvt-server

https://github.com/sjsafranek/mvt-server (this one is written in Go - strk :) )

So there is definitely interest in MVT and growing and of course such interest would benefit from Wagyu.

That said regarding Bas and strk's concern about supporting things that may not be supported in the future.
I too feel a little concerned about MapBox's slipping interest in developing supportable open source software.
I think we even discussed this earlier on when considering bringing in Wagyu and it seemed like there was sufficient willingness in our group that
If such an eventuality would happen with the wagyu project, we'd be willing to fork/continue to maintain it for our own purposes.

So that made me less concerned about the future of MapBox's support of Wagyu.

I haven't been paying much attention to Wagyu so sorry if my questions are "Duh how ignorant are you?" kind of questions, but I must ask

1) Do we just bring the code in and compile it?  We aren't requiring user to precompile?
2) Does it download the source from somewhere?
3) Are any of our bots testing with building with wagyu

I'm more concerned about the logistics of defaulting it.  If it's like it uses it if it finds it available in system like other things, I'm okay with that
but if it then increases the compilation or downloads additional etc, I'm a bit uneasy about that.

Thanks,
Regina