[postgis-devel] Enabling wagyu by default

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Fri May 31 09:03:52 PDT 2019

"Regina Obe" <lr at pcorp.us> writes:

>> On 19-05-31 10:45:38, Greg Troxel wrote:
>>Ra l Mar n Rodr guez <rmrodriguez at carto.com> writes:
>>
>>> My current guess is that any platform that was able to build postgis
>>> should be able to build also with wagyu as a C++11 compiler was
>>> already a requirement for other dependencies (GEOS, GDAL...), but as
>>> it is introducing the direct dependency I'd like to have test it in
>>> the while during the alpha period.
>>
>>as you say given that one needed C++11 for geos,
>
>> and for PROJ 6+, both needed for PostGIS.
>
> Yes and No.  So we may want to default wagyu as off for people running < C++11. if it requires C++11

I think it's really not a good idea to change whether postgis uses wagyu
vs geos based on whether a c++11 compiler is found.  That will just
cause more confusion rather than making people that want to avoid c++11
to use --disable-wagyu, after getting a failure message they can
understand.

> On PostGIS 3 -- our minimum is GEOS 3.6, Proj 4.9 (might be 4.8 or
> even lower), GDAL (we technically have no minimum still)
>
> That said our minimum requirement wouldn't require a C++11 compiler.

I think you are saying one can build GEOS 3.6 with C++03, and looking at
old pkgsrc that seems to be true.

> I really don't want to force C++11 as a requirement for PostGIS unless
> we have to for other reasons.  As I still want to get as many people
> off the PostGIS 2 series as we can.

So it seems we have two basic choices, excluding choices that bury magic:

  leave as is, and people that want wagyu (and have C++11) can
  --enable-wagyu

  change, and people that don't have C++11 can --disable-wagyu

While I have been one of the crankiest people on the internet about
packages moving to bleeding-edge language versions, I have to say that
the time has come when C++11 is normal and systems without it are out of
date.  Such systems are unable to build vast amounts of now-normal
software (I would not have said that three years ago.)

What systems out there (that are reasonable choices for running postgis)
lack C++11 these days?