[postgis-devel] PostGIS 3.0.0 RC1 delayed

Christoph Berg myon at debian.org
Mon Oct 7 04:54:01 PDT 2019

Re: Paul Ramsey 2019-10-07 <04F41D43-72DB-429D-8FC6-D6836E8213AC at cleverelephant.ca>
> Could you or Myon write out a step-by-step: what do I do, and what do I see that’s wrong? Or post a patch?

What the Debian PostGIS package is doing is to ab-use
regress/core/Makefile.in to run the regression tests on the installed
packages from an unconfigured source tree:

#!/bin/sh

set -eux

# link shape loader/dumper to where the testsuite expects them
for prg in shp2pgsql pgsql2shp; do
  test -x loader/$prg || ln -s /usr/bin/$prg loader/$prg
done

# delete test directory before possibly switching user
rm -rf /tmp/pgis_reg

# re-start ourselves as nobody since PG can't run as root
if [ "$(id -un)" = "root" ]; then
  exec su nobody -s /bin/sh "$0" "$@"
fi

# Makefile.in needs some variables from ./configure, set the most important ones here
POSTGIS_GEOS_VERSION="$(dpkg-query -f '${Version}' --show 'libgeos-*.*' | cut -c 1,3)"

# clean up on exit
trap "rm -rf /tmp/pgis_reg" EXIT

# run the regession tests
for v in $(pg_buildext supported-versions); do
  pg_virtualenv -v $v <<-EOF
	set -eux
	make -C regress/core -f Makefile.in check PERL=perl RUNTESTFLAGS="--extension --verbose" POSTGIS_GEOS_VERSION=$POSTGIS_GEOS_VERSION
	make -C regress/sfcgal -f Makefile.in check PERL=perl RUNTESTFLAGS="--extension --verbose" HAVE_SFCGAL=yes
	EOF
done

Skip the "su nobody" part if you aren't root.
Skip the pg_virtualenv part if you already have a working PG cluster.

In 3.0-betaX, that worked. In rc1, regress/run_test.pl now guesses
that the legacy test (only) is running from the build tree and doesn't
use the files from /usr/share/postgresql/XX/contrib. The other tests
still work.

Christoph