[postgis-devel] Pg13 upgrade issues?

rmrodriguez at carto.com rmrodriguez at carto.com
Thu Sep 10 09:16:52 PDT 2020

 I think Sandro had some PR proposal to address the upgrade issue but I
think it needed some more work and review. I haven't spent any time looking
at the issue myself and right now my plate is pretty full, so on one hand
I'm inclined to ask people to upgrade to 3.0 *before* upgrading to PG13,
but on the other hand the upgrade process is painful enough to put more
spokes in the wheels.

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 5:50 PM Paul Ramsey <pramsey at cleverelephant.ca>
wrote:

> I'm taking this from chat to email because chat isn't very durable.
>
> As far as I can tell, we have outstanding Pg13 issues [1], demonstrable
> just by running
>
>    make installcheck
>
> At a minimum, the run_test.pl script in --extension --upgrade mode will
> tests upgrades from 'unpackaged', which are now unavailable in Pg13. So
> that test needs to be lopped out or version flagged.
>
> More maximally, I am unsure what our situation is for 2.X->3.X upgrades,
> since we were dependent on using the unpackaged source version to bundle up
> the postgis_raster extension. Are we still? Is this something with a fix
> planned, or is the fix to tell people "don't do that" and direct them
> through an upgrade chain of 12/2->12/3->13/3?
>
> I just confirmed that I can build, install and enable 2.5 under Pg13, so
> an upgrade path via 12/3 could be a problem going forward.
>
>     POSTGIS="2.5.5dev r17978" [EXTENSION] PGSQL="130"
> GEOS="3.9.0-CAPI-1.14.0"
>
> Any information about current state of upgrade versus Pg13?
>
> Thanks,
>
> [1] https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/4753

Raúl Marín Rodríguez
carto.com