[postgis-devel] Google Summer of Code 2021

Giuseppe Broccolo g.broccolo.7 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 10:57:35 PST 2021

Hi,

Recently this patch <https://commitfest.postgresql.org/29/2276/> which adds
more infrastructure to the GiST has been included in PG14. It should speed
up the build of a GiST index after some (fast) pre-sorting of the data
which needs to be indexed. Some tests for the PG's internal type point
(that uses Zsort as fast pre-sorting of the data) showed that the build is
up to 5 times faster.

I'd like to study a possible implementation for PostGIS data types.
Basically, it would require to add this support function
<https://github.com/glukhovn/postgres/blob/225a49161fae9388651373d4beb8dcba99059339/src/include/access/gist.h#L37>
and this other one
<https://github.com/glukhovn/postgres/blob/225a49161fae9388651373d4beb8dcba99059339/src/include/access/gist.h#L38>
in the operator classes which use the GiST infrastructure (e.g. this one
<https://github.com/postgis/postgis/blob/8b13c3e2f8366d902dbf516ec17de09ae84361f4/postgis/postgis.sql.in#L781>
).

I was wondering if we could take the opportunity to have some support even
by the students of the Google Summer of Code of this year. I'd be happy to
do some mentorship in order to get this done in the 180 hours required by
the committee.

First of all I'd like to ask your opinion: do you think it would be a good
idea to involve a student? Is there any other application for PostGIS
project at the GSOC?

Link to the GSOC
<https://opensource.googleblog.com/2020/10/google-summer-of-code-2021-is-bringing.html>
(info about the timeline here