[postgis-devel] Much slower processing on GEOS 3.9.0 versus 3.8.0 for geodesic area calculation - Upgrade to PROJ 7.2.1 causes issue

Esteban Zimanyi ezimanyi at ulb.ac.be
Sat May 15 02:22:50 PDT 2021

> I like those tricks to get Postgis schema without the fcinfo. If I
> recall correctly somebody (mobilitydb?) had some issues related to it
> because they were calling Postgis from C without passing the fcinfo.
> This change should avoid that, I think.

Indeed, in MobilityDB we need to save the fcinfo in a global variable. When
computing the temporal generalizations of functions such as ST_DWithin,
ST_Distance and ST_Azimuth involving a moving object (typically containing
thousands of couples point at timestamptz) we need to iterate through these
thousands of couples and make calls such as the following one

CallerFInfoFunctionCall2(geography_distance, (fetch_fcinfo())->flinfo,
    InvalidOid, geog1, geog2);

We are doing this in

 POSTGIS="2.5.5" [EXTENSION] PGSQL="130" GEOS="3.9.1dev-CAPI-1.14.1"
PROJ="Rel. 6.3.1, February 10th, 2020" GDAL="GDAL 3
.0.4, released 2020/01/28" LIBXML="2.9.10" LIBJSON="0.13.1" RASTER

Please instruct how to proceed if PostGIS behaviour changes.

Regards

Esteban