[postgis] Re: The Next Level(polygon clipping)

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Tue Jul 31 21:29:49 PDT 2001

Hisaji ONO wrote:

> > a) add most/all of the OGC Simple Features Spec (union,
> >     intersection, xor, etc)
>
>   For this functions, you'll wait for JST.
>
>  But how about using Java 2D api's Area class which supports polygon
> clipping and manipulate coordinates of this result by "Path" like Postscript
> or SVG. But Area class doesn't support 'hole'..

Perhaps I misunderstand, but:
- Firstly, we do not have access to a Java Virtual Machine at the
backend (server-side Java is still a wish-list item for the PostgreSQL
team), so therefor we do not have access to the Java2D API.
- Secondly, if the routines cannot handle holes they aren't much use for
a GIS-oriented system. Certainly they would not meet the requirements of
OGC.

Am I missing something here?

>   Knudsen, J.(1999): JAVA 2D Graphics, O'Reilly, 54-58.
>
>  PostGIS has already has some functions like boundary box overlaps for
> pre-processing of polygon clipping.
>
>  How about my suggestion?

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Get it Now!
http://www.verisign.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?a=n094442340008000
http://us.click.yahoo.com/n7RbFC/zhwCAA/yigFAA/PhFolB/TM