[postgis] Proposal: PostGIS Symposium

Rob Hranac robhranac at vfny.org
Fri Nov 9 14:48:30 PST 2001

Paul et. al.,

I think that a symposium is a great idea, but I second Frank's comment.  I
could make it to the OGC TC meeting, but not a standalone PostGIS
conference.  A $ issue.  I realize that it may seem like all decent OpenGIS
work is done by Canadians, but we American OpenGIS enthusiasts can't travel
there constantly! :)  It might be hard to get a large non-OGC turnout given
the short lead time, but you would probably get a great turnout if you had a
breakout session during the conference.  You would probably also make more
PostGIS converts than you would at a PostGIS-only symposium.  Would also be
happy to co-sponsor an OS OGIS session, if you want, although there is much
more to talk about with PostGIS that there is with FreeFS.  I think that the
OGC people might be receptive to this idea.

Regards,
Rob