[postgis-users] Imsemu and feature service

Obe, Regina DND\MIS robe.dnd at ci.boston.ma.us
Fri Apr 26 08:18:52 PDT 2002

Paul,

How much funding would you need to have to develop a full ArcIMS emulator?

A lot of the people here use ArcIMS and I am hoping to convince them that
postgis would be a suitable repository for centralizing all the data they
want to share with other city departments.  It's a major undertaking and
even more so given the tighting of federal funding - (needs assessment we
should have rapped up soon and inventory meta data survey we should have
done soon in the next month or so).  Anyrate if this goes thru, I may be
able to consolidate some of the different departmental fundings and convince
them to expend some on Refractions work.

Currently the city of boston is broken up into several factions - each using
a mixed set of tools from
Map Info, Arc IMS, Arc SDE, Oracle Spatial (Geocoded data in MS Access, SQL
Server, Oracle) and all want a means of sharing each others data and have
been trying to do it for 10 years evidentally.  The first phase will just
inventory what we have out there.  The second phase will be a means of
sharing this (e.g. using the ogr tools to load data into postgis and then
dispense it to authorized users in whatever format they need), but it would
be even more of a treat if they could access it directly via ArcIMS,
Mapserve, WFS, WMS etc.