[postgis-users] odbc arcMap-pg

Armin Burger armin.burger at libero.it
Fri Apr 26 10:59:20 PDT 2002

Cedric,

I have tried to access PostGIS data via ODBC from ArcView3 and there were
problems, too. With standard ArcView SQLConnect you got maximum of 255
characters from the geometry column or errors, depending on the configuration
of the ODBC connection. With the DatabaseAccess extension the geometry field
was retrieved as blob and for every record a file *.blp was written to the
home/temp directory.

I read of similar problems of others that tried to access PostGIS via ODBC. A
test with MS Access loaded that data more or less correct but also there the
geometry column had the definition as blob.

I don't know if all that is a problem of the ODBC driver or the ESRI products
or both. Some time ago I saw a nice application loading oracle spatial data
into ArcView. So I had the idea to try something similar with PostGIS,
unfortuantely still without success. I would be interested to hear if someone
succeeded more.

One better choice might be to access Postgres by using functions of the
libpg.dll, but I'm no C programmer and therefore I dropped that possibility
for now.

Armin