[postgis-users] [newbie] Obtaining data, feeding database

Jean-Christophe ARNU (JX) jc.arnu at wanadoo.fr
Fri Dec 13 01:19:34 PST 2002

Hi,

	well it might be a very basic newbie question. I've successfully compiled
postGIS against PGSQL 7.3. I'm planning to use it with MapServer from
Minnesota University and phpMapScript. My question is about data to be stored
into the database. Our project (for a non profit association) is to map a
town 1M person (Toulouse France Europe)and its suburb then place wireless
hotspots with specs and so on... So we would need several layers such as :
	- altimetry
	- roads
	- noticeable buildings
	- wireless public access points (this is our "job" to place them and feed the
database with correct informations for this layer)

	My questions are:
		- Where could I find data (does it exists)?
		- Is there a free source of geographic informations available?
		- What is the commonly used format used (out of pure SQL) to feed
PostGIS?

	In France we've a national geographic institute and a spacial center that
both are likely to provide such an information but I don't think it would be
free of charge (our association is quite poor and can't afford it).

	Thank you for any clue/answer :) and pardon my french ;)
--
Jean-Christophe ARNU
Circumstances rule men; men do not rule circumstances.