[postgis-users] Accessing PostGIS from ArcView

Steffen Macke sdteffen at web.de
Sun Jun 9 21:14:43 PDT 2002

> The extension uses the pgsql2shp.exe to create the shapefiles. That will
> always open a command window what is not very elegant. To avoid this, the
> compilation of a library instead of the executable would be necessary. Can
> anybody tell me how much effort it would be to change the C code in order
> to compile as library?

I had a similar problem with calling the EPANET hydraulic analysis software
from ArcView. My solution was a small wrapper dll that calls the commandline
program.
This is much easier to maintain than a dll (especially if you're using gcc)
I can provide you source code and dll if you like. However, I think there are
problems with dll calls from Win9* - I had no success getting them to work.

Steffen