[postgis-users] Why the creation of an index GIST is much faster thanthe creation of an index RTREE

david.garnier at etudier-online.com david.garnier at etudier-online.com
Tue Jun 11 03:30:19 PDT 2002

> It seems to me that not only do GIST and R-tree differ in approach
> (lossiness, the stats they gather)
>
>  but that GIST is simply more fully implemented in postgres.
>
> Hope this is of use,
>
> Rob

I had at look the definition of R-tree and GiST, and basically a GiST is a
generic tree structure that can be used to implement, guess what, R-trees and B-
trees. So when you use a GiST index in Postgis, you basically use an R-tree. I
think that the difference in speed comes from the fact that the new
implementation of the R-tree using the GiST is better than the older, native
one.

Best regards,
David Garnier