[postgis-users] Problem with PROJ4

Luis Mota luis.mota at iscte.pt
Thu May 23 16:59:24 PDT 2002

Hi.

I'm new to PostGIS, but I'm planning on using it a lot from now on.

I'm developing a GIS-software agent for the AgentCities european
project, so, if any one is interested, you can take a look at
www.agentcities.net .

I've been installing PostGIS (cvs version) today on a RedHat 7.0 with
PostgreSQL 7.2. I also wanted to install PROJ4, but here I couldn't do
it... I suppose I'm just too new to do this.

The problem is that I install with no problems both PROJ4 and PostGIS,
but when I try to run the psql -f postgis.sql -d whatever, there are two
things: first, I have to give the full path to postgis.sql (this is no
problem, of course), and second, the file is processed just until line
218, where I get the following error:

psql:../share/contrib/postgis.sql:218: NOTICE:  ProcedureCreate: type
box3d is n
ot yet defined
psql:../share/contrib/postgis.sql:218: ERROR:  Load of file
/usr/local/pgsql/lib
/contrib/libpostgis.so.0.7 failed: libproj.so.0: cannot open shared
object file:
 No such file or directory

As I understand this, 'libproj.so.0' is not found. However, this file
exists in /usr/local/lib/. Is this where this file should be? Am I
having some PATH or other environment variable problem? Has anyone seen
this?

I tried to look at the mailing list archives, but the only somehow
similar problem was about some DOS end-lines, which I suppose is not the
present case.

I was also not able to import .shp data. There was also a problem with
somo lib, I suppose the reason must be the same...

Since I'm not having a clue, any help is appreciated.

Bye, Luís