[postgis-users] problems restoring a dump : CREATE CAST?

Pedro Salazar pedro-b-salazar at ptinovacao.pt
Thu Apr 10 04:57:13 PDT 2003

Greetings,

I'm using postgis functions in my database, and I'm getting errors
restoring the database. I already identified the line problems, and it
can reproduced just creating a database and running the postgis.sql
procedures.

The following statements are taken from the postgis.sql file, and they
work just fine when running it:

CREATE CAST ( chip AS geometry ) WITH FUNCTION geometry(chip) AS
IMPLICIT;
CREATE CAST ( geometry AS box3d ) WITH FUNCTION box3d(geometry) AS
IMPLICIT;
CREATE CAST ( geometry AS box ) WITH FUNCTION box(geometry) AS IMPLICIT;
CREATE CAST ( box3d AS geometry ) WITH FUNCTION geometry(box3d) AS
IMPLICIT;
CREATE CAST ( text AS geometry) WITH FUNCTION geometry(text) AS
IMPLICIT;
CREATE CAST ( wkb AS bytea ) WITH FUNCTION bytea(wkb) AS IMPLICIT;
CREATE CAST ( box3d AS box ) WITH FUNCTION box3dtobox(box3d);

The following lines are the errors I'm getting when restoring the dump
file:
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "." at character 20
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "." at character 20
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "." at character 20
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "." at character 20
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "." at character 28
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "." at character 20
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "." at character 20

The lines below are the statements in the dump file that I think are
throwing that errors:

--
-- TOC entry 217 (OID 21062)
-- Name: gist_geometry_ops; Type: OPERATOR CLASS; Schema: public; Owner:

--
-- TOC entry 219 (OID 21039)
-- Name: box3d (public.geometry); Type: CAST; Schema: public; Owner:

--
-- TOC entry 220 (OID 21040)
-- Name: box (public.geometry); Type: CAST; Schema: public; Owner:

--
-- TOC entry 221 (OID 21041)
-- Name: geometry (public.box3d); Type: CAST; Schema: public; Owner:

--
-- TOC entry 222 (OID 21042)
-- Name: geometry (text); Type: CAST; Schema: public; Owner:

--
-- TOC entry 223 (OID 21043)
-- Name: bytea (public.wkb); Type: CAST; Schema: public; Owner:

--
-- TOC entry 224 (OID 21044)
-- Name: box3dtobox (public.box3d); Type: CAST; Schema: public; Owner:

Please, anyone had reproduced these errors? What it means? Is there a
workaround? Can I dump just schema tables and data from a specified
schema that could avoids me restore the public postgis functions/tables,
doing it manually before? (could be a possible workaround... no?).

thanks,
Pedro Salazar.
--
PS