[postgis-users] Throughput/performance for postGIS

Gregory S. Williamson gsw at globexplorer.com
Thu Aug 7 12:59:50 PDT 2003

I've been charged with investigating postGIS as a replacement for our current Informix runtime (9.3), which uses the Spatial blade. Currently we use two Sun Sparc/Ultra 80 boxes with 3 CPUS dedicated to Informix.

Originally this company tried Oracle, but, as the Firesign Theater put it, "He's no fun, he fell right over!" ... Informix works well but charges a hefty amount for each CPU. We're running more than a million hits a day, not evenly spread, natch.

We use our database to calculate the image files we have within a given area (ST_Union, Intersect and the like).

Are there documents on performance of postGres on various platforms that I might be able to get some ideas from ? Such issues as multiple CPU vs single CPU, Operating System (we're leaning towards Linux of some flavor) would be of interest.

Any suggestions from users that have/are really beating up postGIS would be welcome !

Thanks,

Greg Williamson
DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC