[postgis-users] shp2pgsql sequence and pkey

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Wed Aug 13 10:24:28 PDT 2003

> strk wrote:

>>Finally my opinion about sequences and primary key: they should be
>>optional. I'm ok with previous layout, I don't like to have the db
>>full of sequences and indexes. I think the import step should be
>>essential, indexes and constraints should be added by the DBA based
>>on application specifications (why not a GiST index then ?).

I would say they should be the default, but perhaps the user should have
the option of turning them off. Using a pkey and sequence is a "best
practice" and I would like to have the loader do that automagically for
new inexperienced users. If an advanced DBA wants to roll her own stuff,
then she can replace the pkeys and sequences after load, no?

--
       __
      /
      | Paul Ramsey