[postgis-users] Experience with GDL objects

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Sun Aug 17 13:24:52 PDT 2003

Hi Ricardo,

   The GIS and CAD worlds remain oddly separate. The only "true 3D"
applications I have seen of GIS is in the geological field, where
modelling underground structures is done with full 3D objects.
Interestingly, the people doing that have to often use CAD tools for
their work. Meanwhile, the CAD people do not seem to care much about
where thier objects are on the ground. It is enough that they be
described in a detailed way relative to a reference point. So CAD people
live in a cartesian world while GIS people live in a spherical (oblate
spheroid) world.

   I wonder whether an integrated approach is really required for most
applications.  For many apps, using GIS tools to navigate to an object
of interest, then getting a CAD view of the particular object, seems
like a straight forward amalgam.

   I haven't seen any CAD / PostGIS tie-ins in the 3D space. I am not
sure what the best data model would be, frankly. Like many map layers,
detailed 3D objects would be very scale dependant. Effective
presentation of the data at multiple scales would require simplification
of the features, and proxying with other features.

   The vterrain.org site has some integrated terrain + buildings going
on. I think that vterrain might be the best long term open source front
end to the problem. But I am not sure precisely what the problem is. :)
If it is the creation of a seamless multi-scale model of the world, then
that is the long term vterrain goal.

Paul

--
       __