[postgis-users] How to generalize or simplify a Polygon

Christoph Spoerri spoerri at duke.edu
Thu Aug 28 11:12:40 PDT 2003

I just read a paper on the D-P algorithm where they mentioned that the
algorithm may result in self-intersecting lines. It also said that there are
indications that is is computationally infeasible to guarantee valid simple
lines or polygons after applying a simplification algorithm.

Christoph

FYI. the paper was: J. Hershberger and J.Snoeyink, 'Speeding Up the
Douglas-Peucker Line-Simplification Algorithm'