[postgis-users] How to generalize or simplify a Polygon

Christoph Spoerri spoerri at duke.edu
Thu Aug 28 14:06:27 PDT 2003

I'm not sure if this was mentioned before, but earlier this summer their was a
post on the list by somebody that implemented the D-P algorithm on lines as
an extension/function to PostGIS. This may be a good starting point to also
simplify polygons (if required).

Along this line, I was also think if it would be possible/useful to store the
simplified feature within the database. This would then allow the user to
specify which 'version' of a spatial dataset should be retrieved. This would
provide a similar functionality as is already available for raster datasets
where pyramids are used to provide this functionality. What does the rest of
you think about this?

Christoph