[postgis-users] How to generalize or simplify a Polygon

Martin Davis mbdavis at VividSolutions.com
Thu Aug 28 15:20:57 PDT 2003

I don't have time or the setup right now to generate an example that causes this, but I have no doubt that I could produce one.  Anytime a process moves line segments (e.g. by deleting points) without a global check about whether intersections are created there is the potential to corrupt the topology.

A polygon with a inward spike (which would not be changed by DP) very close to a slightly curved line (which *would* be eliminated by DP) would exhibit this kind of failure.

Martin Davis, Senior Technical Architect
Vivid Solutions Inc.
Suite #1A-2328 Government Street   Victoria, B.C.   V8T 5G5
Phone: (250) 385 6040    Fax: (250) 385 6046