[postgis-users] GEOS Installation Testing Help

Darren Houston darren.houston at edu.sait.ca
Thu Dec 4 13:55:58 PST 2003

Hello everyone.

This is in response to the thread:

RE: [postgis-users] Will someone compile PostGIS 0.8.0 and PostgreSQL 7.4
for Win32 and want to share it?

I have tried multiple times to post to this thread, but something stops me.
So, I have to start a new thread.

I have been following this post and decided to see if my GEOS was
working properly with PostgreSQL.

I tried;

SELECT geomunion(
        'GEOMETRYCOLLECTION(POINT(0 0), LINESTRING(1 1))',
        'POINT(0 0)'
);

and I received this error;

NOTICE:  IllegalArgumentException: This method does not support
GeometryCollection arguments
ERROR:  GEOS union() threw an error!

PostgreSQL isn't affected by the error.

Ok, but the thing is, the PostgreSQL I'm running is the default 7.3.4
PostgreSQL installed fresh from CD when I installed RedHat 9 (with the
latest RedHat RPM updates). Here is some info on my database;

SELECT version();

PostgreSQL 7.3.4 on i386-redhat-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC
i386-redhat-linux-gcc (GCC) 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)

ldd /usr/bin/postmaster

libpam.so.0 => ...
libssl.so.4 => ...
libc.so.6   => /lib/tls/libc.so.6

I have no linking to libstdc++ with postmaster. When I compile and install
PostGIS and Geos I compile PostgreSQL from source adding the
LDFLAGS=-lstdc++ (only make, not make install). I then
compile and install Geos and PostGIS into their own directories and use
them with PostgreSQL. So how can Geos work with a PostgreSQL that has no
link to c++, unless Geos just needs it to compile and install, not run?

I have used other Geos functions with success. Any other queries that
would differentiate between a working and non-working Geos?

Thank you for anyone with ideas/information to this.

Darren H.