[postgis-users] Re: Problem with shp2pgsql (MULTILINESTRING 8260 as 1

David Blasby dblasby at refractions.net
Thu Dec 18 11:49:43 PST 2003

Carlos Ho Shih Ning wrote:
> Hi strk,
>
> Indeed you are right.
> The trouble is that for some files there are too many of those errors
> although the table is successfully loaded into the database.
>
> Just in case you might provide me an opinion.
> Do you think that shp2pgsql is too stringent regarding to the definition
> of the MULTILINESTRING or something else, while viewers like ArcView
> and JUMP are more tolerant and avoid annoying the user about those problems?

If your shapefile really has linestrings with one point, then the
converter should be giving you errors.  Your shapefile isnt valid and
you're losing information.

Arc-view should be giving you errors, and the JUMP shapefile reader
should be giving you errors too (did you check to see if it does).

dave