[postgis-users] shp2pgsql and schemas

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Fri Jul 4 08:55:34 PDT 2003

Right now, shp2pgsql fills out the 'schema' column of geometry_columns
with the name of the database the data is being loaded into. I think
there is also a check in the AddGeometryColumns function to ensure that
the value being put into that column is "correct". This is because there
was no such thing as a "schema" when these things were written, so we
superimposed the pgsql 'database' concept as the 'schema'.

Now that schemas actually *exist* in pgsql, our behavior is in wrong.
The schema idea can be literally and correctly translated into pgsql
terms. So AddGeometryColumn should be dumbed down to just

Because the schema of the table is discoverable. The fact that 'schema'
is part of geometry_columns is also in implicit guide to where the
postgis functions and tables should be installed -- somewhere public and
not data specific. The currect default of installing in the 'public'
schema seems like a good default to retain.

Basically, both shp2pgsql and AddGeometryColumn need to be reworked and
tested in the context of schemas.

P.

--
       __